Thursday 17 January 2013

Blogging

Well I'm not totally sold on this blogging thing yet but I'm sure by the end of the Internet for Educators course it'll be second nature to me. I've thought about blogging before but never really had the guts to put myself out there. Also, computers are not my thing and it takes me awhile to get the hang of any programs. So far setting up this blog and posting has been a snap. I can't say the same for twitter though. Yes, for this course we also have to create a twitter account and start tweeting! I'm not too sure which intimidated me more; tweeting or blogging!
So far I'm really excited about the Internet for Educators course because it is all about what we can take away from it. Also I was quite pleased we don't have to go out and spend tons of money on textbooks we'll only use a couple of times!
A little about me:
My name is Alaura Armstrong and I am a first year student in the Faculty of Education at Brandon University. I completed my first degree, Bachelor of Arts, at the University of Manitoba. I enjoyed my time there but that campus is definitely too big and the parking is awful! I made some great friends, had some awesome courses, and very helpful professors.
I'm very excited to be well on my way to becoming a teacher and I look forward to spending the rest of my life in a classroom. I believe education is a very important part of life and I hope to pass on my enthusiasm.
This blog will be a journal of my experience of becoming a teacher and a place to share resources.

5 comments:

  1. First off, welcome to Brandon!! I hope you have enjoyed your time here so far! I wasn't sold on blogging either, but it kind of grows on you. You will probably start to love Twitter. I use it all the time, and its a great way to interact with friends and educators alike. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Internet for Educators and to the wonderful world of blogging. I wasn't sold on the whole blogging thing either, but once you start it is kind of addicting. I have already spent a few hours tweaking the design and editing my posts.
    I think this class is going to be very informative and I also like the fact that we don't need to buy any textbooks (not that I would anyway). I look forward to networking with you Alaura.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to blogger! Glad to have a class with a fellow ex-Villager. ;) Tweeting will become a lot easier. I started for ICT last year and am thankful that I did.
    I hope you enjoy this class, especially after the way your term has started.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the world of blogging and twitter. I am also very new to blogging and twitter. I like blogging but I am not sold on the twitter thing yet. I guess I really don't understand the purpose of hash tags. Have you had your ICT class yet? I learned a lot in that course and can't wait to start my official teaching website (when I get a job that is). Well I can't wait to share ideas and resources with you.

    Thank you
    Jen Falk
    "Teach long and prosper" - Star Trek

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome Alaura! It can be hard at first to jump into blogging and Twitter but, like all things, it gets easier with time. There are some great user-friendly resources out there to help walk you through both of these applications. If you search for "educator's guide to twitter" you will find lots of how-to guides. I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog!

    Miss L
    Miss L’s Whole Brain Teaching

    ReplyDelete