Wednesday 22 January 2014

Another Website of My Very Own


This week in class and next week Mike has us working on creating our own class websites. This is a daunting task and not because of the technical part but because of the creative aspect. I am a fussy person and I like things a certain way. Designing a website poses creative challenges for me (just like this blog did)! The whole issue of having to find pictures is tough especially since I don’t have a keen eye for photography. Although Mike showed us this place, Creative Commons, where people can just go online and help themselves to creative and neat looking pictures. So, basically it is a place where creativity and knowledge are shared through a legal and free way. I haven’t really explored it yet but I will definitely be checking it out once I figure out what pictures I want on my site.

I remember when I was younger (probably 10 or 11) and I made my own website. I can't remember what site I used (I think it was pic-something-or another) but it was fun and easy to do. Since I was young I really didn't have a lot of information to include on it and it was really only for my own fun. The front page was an all about me section and then the tabs broke off into my interests (mainly books that I had read and wanted to read). Since remembering about this website earlier this week I have been trying to find it online but have had no such luck.

Since remembering about my past website I am trying to have fun with this task but I find myself getting more frustrated than anything. There are two reasons to this frustration, or so I think. First one is that my laptop is ancient and needs to be replaced (I have lost my power button somewhere in my house!) The second is that maybe it might be easier if I had an actual class to build this for; I would feel like I had more purpose for doing this task. But, oh well, for now I will continue to play around and figure out all the neat features that come with building a website and try to get past my frustrations. One very positive aspect about doing this now and working through this frustration out is that when I do have my own classroom I should be an expert at building websites :)

Update on my ePortfolio; I think I have an outline made of what I want to include in this and the website I will use to build it. Some of this information will include personal information, professional development sessions, artifacts from student teaching and my teaching philosophy. Now it is only a matter of collecting all the information and sitting down to put it all together cohesively in an eye-catching way.

 

2 comments:

  1. I meant to add the web address for creataive commons above but here it is creativecommons.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also be sure to try compfight.com - a good search engine for images that are under a CC license.

    ReplyDelete