Saturday 9 February 2013

Edublogger Followed that is Inspired by Daily Five

http://www.delightfuldaily5cafe.com/

I started following Laura Komos, a first grade teacher, through her blog and twitter account at the beginning of the course. I choose this edublogger to follow because her posts and resources are based around the Daily 5 and The Cafe Book. I did a study of the Daily 5 in English Methods in the previous term. I really enjoyed the methods and routines discussed in the book so I figured I would enjoy following Laura's blog and twitter. So, far I have not been disappointed. I find what she has to say interesting and relevant to the classroom. She often talks about what worked and didn't work during class which gives me a better insight into the Daily 5.

One of the aspects about Laura's blog that I really enjoy is how she puts up of pictures of her lessons and classroom. This gives me ideas as to how things can be arranged and presented in ways that students will understand and like. Another thing I like is through her posts Laura differentiates what is her original idea, what was adapted from the Daily 5 and what was just lifted from the Daily 5.

I really connected with the Daily 5 instruction and figured if I had an earlier year's classroom I would definitely implement it. Seeing it done in a real classroom as the year progresses is good inspiration for me when I finally get my own classroom. One particular posts of Laura's that I liked is an older one but it is on expanding the Daily 5 into the math curriculum. It opened my eyes to see that these methods can be integrated into any curriculum with a little bit of tweaking.

I also really liked how easy Laura's site is to navigate. On the right side she has an area where she lists her "book shelf" and labels all her posts into categories for easy topic searching.

I look forward to following and reading about Laura and her Daily 5 Cafe blog.

(Laura Komos also has another blog that is reflective on teaching and learning. I follow this one as well but I found the information from the Daily 5 Cafe blog to interest me more. Here is the link to her other blog as well, http://www.ourcampreadalot.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment