Friday 15 February 2013

Web Apps for the Classroom

Another tech task in class was to find educational web apps we would use in our classroom. I think this is a great task and one that I will put to use in my next placement. Many classrooms today are coming equipped with a few ipads and lap tops. Students spend quite a bit of time using that technology, so it is important for educators to show students how to use it productively. There are many different apps available that would be beneficial to a students learning.

The first app I would suggest is Dragon Dictation. This is great for students who have trouble writing what they want to say. All they have to do is speak into their device and it records the information into text. Students will still need to learn how to write and type properly but Dragon Dictation is a good alternative when writing/typing is not the focus of the lesson.

The second app I found is Evernote. This app is also great for students because it will help them stay organized which is very important. It had text, audio, and video features for all kinds of learners.

I personally don't own or use these apps but I have seen them used in a middle year's classroom. The students liked them and some even used them daily.

There are many more apps out there and I'm sure there will be even more in the future. I think when it comes to getting apps for the classroom it will be important for the teacher to consult their students since they will be the ones using them. One of the teacher's goals is to interest the students and I think that letting them help choose apps will engage them.

3 comments:

  1. I really like Evernote! The other great aspect of evernote is that there are many "extras" with the app that can be used. Evernote Peek is a great app for senior years students especially. It works with your ipad and ipad cover. Students create flashcards for studying and then use their cover to "peek" at their questions without seeing the answer that is on the screen. Very neat concept!
    I agree though, there are so many apps out there. Awesome that we will be able to customize the apps to each class/student we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great apps. I also really like your idea of consulting your students before using an app. It is true, they are going to be the ones using it so they better like it or they won't use it. Also your student might have al ready be using, or know an app that could be used and this will save you time searching for one.
    Great post,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Evernote! I didn't know it existed until a few weeks ago and I wish I had discovered it sooner. I'm looking at reviews for Dragon Dictation online right now and I'm really impressed. I love app recommendations - they are some of my favourite articles and blog posts to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete