Monday 11 February 2013

Podcast.... What's a Podcast?

Another 'tech task' in class was to find a podcast that we could use in our classroom. I have never listened to or used podcasts before so I had no idea how to go about this. After a little research and button clicking on  iTunes I found a podcast that I would also follow on my own which is called NASACast.

There are quite a few different ones to subscribe to on iTunes. The three that I subscribed to are:
 -NasaCast: Solar System
 -NasaCast: Space Shuttle and Space Station
 -NasaCast: Universe

I really like these because they are interesting and relevant to today. I think that it is something that students could be interested in as well. The information and the way it is presented is engaging. I also like how the videos are short, the longest one I've watched so far is about five minutes.

The solar system is done in grade six science and I'm actually going to be going student teaching, for my second placement, at a grade 5/6 multi-level class. Being able to share this with them (if they haven't already seen it) would be awesome!

As I read more about Podcasts and search for different ones I'm realizing how useful a tool it can be in the classroom. If a student is having trouble in class the teacher can make a podcast available for them to download and watch/listen whenever they need. Podcasts can be mobile so if a student walking to school can be studying for a test by listening to a podcast on the material.

Also podcasts as projects for students are a unique way for them to express themselves and use a different form of technology. The software and materials seem easy to get and the actual making of them doesn't seem to hard either.




1 comment:

  1. Those sound awesome! I'm enjoying following @Cmdr_Hadfield on twitter as he posts pics of the earth from space and daily life in the Space Station. If you're going to be doing the solar system in your placement, he's a good person to follow.

    ReplyDelete